Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Huka

Greetings, friends!

I know it's been a while since I posted, but things have been busy! I am still in Taupo, working for accommodation at the backpackers' and also working part-time at a local cafe. My jobs at the hostel and the cafe are basically the same: cleaning up. Dishes. Toilets. Beds. Etc. It's physical labor for 2-8 hours per day, so I've been working hard. 

Much of my down time is spent with friends who also live at the hostel. Here are some recent photos:
Me, Ann, and Ruth catching a gorgeous Taupo sunset

Another great sunset
Yes, I admit it, I ate McDonalds. Once. It was a moment of weakness, I swear...
Our friend Mattias, who works at McDonalds (referred to by Kiwis as "Mackers")

Cheers!

Can you tell we all enjoy the sunset?!?

My illustrious colleagues at the hostel: Celia, Dave (aka Princess) and Ruth
Some of the gang celebrating Dave's birthday (he's the one with the tiara)
One night we all trekked up to the hot springs along the Waikato River...
And enjoyed a nice soak under the moonlight. 

My friend Louise, whom I met in Auckland, recently came to visit Taupo for a few days. Though I had to work most of the time she was here, we still managed to have some fun together. One day we hiked up to Huka Falls, a set of waterfalls on the Waikato River, through which over 200,000 liters of water flow every second. "Huka" in the Maori language means "foam," and as you can see from the pictures below, it is appropriately named.

Marilyn, Louise, Ann, and me
Louise and me over Huka Falls
Looking down at the Falls




Where's Waldo?

Some have tried, unsuccessfully (and fatally), to raft through the Falls.
The obligatory picture in front of the Falls

I am thinking often of my friends back in the States! I hope everyone is well, and that 2012 is off to a blessed start. I will write more soon.

Cheers!




1 comment:

  1. Looks like you're meeting friends and having a fun adventure. Keep the posts coming, chicky! :)

    Happy New Year!

    Love, Fotini <3

    ReplyDelete