Monday, August 27, 2012

Where the wild things are

One of the perks of working at a hotel: going on "famil" tours, which are geared towards getting me "familiarized" with the tours I am selling/booking as part of my job. This particular day took me and a couple friends to the Malcom Douglas Wilderness Park about 16 kilometers from Broome.

Where I held a python named Olive:







And a baby crocodile:




Where we saw dozens of Australian crocodiles. The wilderness park actually breeds these lovely creatures.





We had the privilege of watching these crocs being fed... yum! At the park, they are fed every day, though in the wild, crocs don't need to eat every day. In fact, they often go weeks or months without food.








Then we moved on to some of the less threatening species:

For my bird-loving Mom: here's a kookaburra


A close up of the cassuary

Beautiful owl

Chloe & Susi talking to the birdies



A dingo, the ancient link between wolves and today's domestic dogs


One type of wallaby


Kangaroo and joey

To me, these were the coolest thing I saw in the park:






Flying foxes



They literally look like foxes with wings


I'd much rather be face-to-face with one of these guys than with the scary crocs! I guess they're all part of the Western Australian experience!





3 comments:

  1. I love these pictures! Especially the ones with you laughing. I miss me some Mary laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mary. Just wanted to say that I'm thinking about you and hope you are well. Let's Skype sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mlong! You're nuts! I could never hold a snake! That's seriously scary!

    ReplyDelete