Monday, March 26, 2012

The soul builder

I keep thinking back to a conversation I had in Nelson several weeks ago.

I met a Chinese woman around my age staying at the same hostel. We started talking about our backgrounds and our reasons for traveling. Turns out that not very many Chinese travel to New Zealand. In fact, from what she said, not many travel at all. Traveling is a luxury that most Chinese people do not have, as they are consumed with the basics of survival. My friend said that the emphasis there is placed on gaining wealth and importance in society.

When she told her friends she was going to travel, they were perplexed as to how this would help her achieve these goals.

They asked her, "Will you make a lot of money in New Zealand at your job?"

She said, "No, I'll only be working part time and casual jobs there."

They asked, "Well, will you find a rich New Zealand man to marry?"

She said, "No, that's not why I'm going."

They asked, "Well, then WHY are you going?"

Her answer: "To build my soul."


So simple, yet so profound. I mentioned this conversation to another friend, and we reflected on the immense luxury we have that we are not only able to travel, but to reflect upon the travel, and to reflect on ourselves and our lives in general. I am incredibly blessed to have this opportunity of travel and adventure, this opportunity to help build up my own soul. And I'm grateful to be able to share it with wonderful friends and family.




No comments:

Post a Comment