Monday, October 15, 2012

Aussie speak

As a follow-up to my entry entitled "Kiwi lexicon," I'd like to familiarize my friends and family with the lovely lingo of the Australians. Here are some of my favorites:

Common words
Arvo: afternoon
Barbie: barbecue
Brekkie: breakfast
Bloke: guy/dude
Bush: the wilderness, countryside, outback
Bogan: a hick/someone who is unkempt
Cheers: thanks/you're welcome/goodbye
Chook: chicken
Footy: Australian Rules football
Lollies: candy
Mate: friend
Midges: small sandflies
Mozzies: mosquitos
Muddy: mudcrab
Pommie: someone from England ("Prisoner of Mother England")
Prezzie: present
Rego: registration
Rock up: turn up/show up
Roo: kangaroo
Stubby: beer can holder
Skull: to drink a beer without taking a breath
Sparkie: electrician
Sunnies: sunglasses
Swag: rolled up bedding used for camping in the bush
Tassie: Tasmania
Tinny: beer
Ta: thank you
Tea: supper/meal
Ute: utility vehicle
Vego: vegetarian
Whinge: whine

Common phrases
No worries! You're welcome!
Too right! I agree.
No drama! No problem.
Too easy!  No problem/you're welcome.
Good on ya. Good going/good for you/you go, girl!
How you going? How are you?
She'll be (al)right. It's ok.


Classic example of the advertising out here in Western Australia (aka, the bush):






1 comment:

  1. I've always known that the Australians have their unique "English terminology" but I didn't quite realize how vast it is until I settled here. sunglasses

    ReplyDelete