Monday, February 27, 2012

The south

After spending almost three months on New Zealand's north island, I was fairly excited to venture south. Well, I wish I had come down here earlier! It has a very different vibe, and of course, is absolutely beautiful.

The ferry ride between the port cities of Wellington and Picton is 3-4 hours. I was up bright and early one morning last week to catch the boat. My first glimpses of the south island from the ferry:












The port town of Picton:


After a night in Blenheim, where I had been hoping to do a bicycle tour of the wineries (sounds fun, right?!) but was thwarted because of the rain, I made my way over to Nelson. There I stayed in a fairly posh hostel, met some great people, and experienced the area.

Accents on the Park, my hostel in Nelson

Patty, a new friend from The Netherlands, and I ventured down to Nelson Lakes in her car one afternoon. We did a short walk around the northern peninsula of Lake Rotoiti. These are probably some images you've seen before as they are fairly iconic in New Zealand tourism literature.
















More to come as I make my way around the south island!
To all my friends who are beginning Great Lent, I wish you a fruitful journey!



2 comments:

  1. Dear Nouna,
    I love you and miss you. Have you seen any volcanoes?
    Love, Lydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lydia! Yes I have seen lots of volcanoes, but none that are erupting! :-) I can't wait to show you some more pictures. Love & miss you too!!
      Kisses,
      Nouna

      Delete