Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Tauhara

Last week I had the privilege of hiking Mt. Tauhara with friends. It's a little over 1,000 meters in elevation with a killer view of Lake Taupo, the town, and surrounding countryside. As with most mountains in the region, it is volcanic, specifically stratovolcanic, and dates back 68,000 years. The weather was perfect, so we set out after lunch.




View from the ground.




Tramping up the "foothills" before we get to the mountain.








The trail cuts through volcanic rock.

Some berries along the trail...



Some very cool trees along the path, which, of course, I had to climb.

We made it to the top in just over an hour!



Panoramic shot I took with my phone.... Lake Taupo on one side and the Tauhara Forest on the other


Enjoying the view from 1,000 meters




Reaching another meter up...




Goofball.





The official marker for the top of the mountain... winner.



Trying not to break my neck on the boulders at the edge... the wind was strong!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Long,

    The story...well we all can't perform a "Mary Long" and flee the country/continent.

    But anyway, I applied about a month ago. They called me to setup an interview a few days later. I go to the interview, pass with flying colors and practically offer me the job on the spot. Call my references the same day. And offer me the job a few days later. And now I start on the 27th of Feb as Head of Library Computing Services at the BUMC.

    That's the story....

    J-
    PS Where are my Tim Tams!? Share the yummy goodness!

    ReplyDelete