Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Flyin' solo

When I tell people about my trip, most ask "Who are you going with?" Reactions vary when I answer, "I'm going solo." 
   
    Is it safe? 
    Won't you get lonely?
    That doesn't sound like fun!
    You're brave. 


The reality is that the benefits to solo travel far outweigh the risks: Ten Benefits of Traveling Solo. Though I expect there will be moments in which I'm lonely or frustrated, the payoff will be worth it. Because I'm doing this solo, I can set my own agenda, move at the pace I want, and meet more people along the way.  


But is it safe? More than one person has asked me, "Um, have you seen the movie Taken?"


While it's generally true that women are required to be more cautious than men while on the road alone (we're seen as easier targets), many travelers will say that they feel safer abroad than they do in certain areas of their hometowns. The travelers' network is full of resources and advice for solo women, ranging from how to stay safe in a hostel to when to wear a fake wedding band. The main piece of advice is self-evident: use common sense. One shouldn't do abroad what she wouldn't do at home. 


So, friends, I promise to be careful.


I also promise to have fun!



1 comment:

  1. Safe travels, Mary. And Godspeed, to the whatever your ultimate destination is, which may not necessarily be geographical.

    ReplyDelete