Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Reflection from the islands...

Bonjour mes amies!

After having spent the last several days in the country of French Polynesia, mostly the island of Moorea, I can truly say that if paradise existed on earth, it would be in this place.

About French Polynesia: French is the official language, though you will hear a lot of Tahitian, and most people know a bit of English. Tourism is the main industry here, so locals are used to meeting people from all over the world. I saw many travelers coming through the area, many honeymooning couples, some families, destination weddings, etc.

My time here in French Polynesia began when I landed in the Fa'aa airport in Tahiti at 6 in the morning. After navigating my way via bus ("Le Truck") into the city of Papeete, I caught a ferry to the nearby island of Moorea, which in Tahitian means "yellow lizard." Both Moorea and Tahiti are part of the Society Islands of French Polynesia, which as a country consists of over 1,000 different islands! Moorea is only ten miles wide at the middle, but consists of mountains in its center as it was originally formed by a volcano.There are two bays, but the rest of the island is surrounded by a lagoon.


Upon my arrival, I was welcomed by my host Laure and her six-year old son Maohi. We headed to one of the many beaches (we are on an island, after all!) which is frequented by both locals and visitors. (Side note: I highly recommend this place... restaurant, hotel, beach, scuba, kayak, etc. If you visit Moorea, look up Les Tipaniers. Also the Intercontinental Hotel, if you feel like splurging, is wonderful.) My first view of the Moorean beach:


Lagoon beach at Les Tipaniers, Moorea

As you can imagine, I was overwhelmed. However, the longer I stay on Moorea, the more I realize every moment and every scene isjust as picturesque as this one! My time has been filled exploring the island and relaxing on the beach. One day I rented a kayak and went out to snorkedl in the lagoon around the motu (small island off the coast). So many different kinds of beautiful fish! (They are beautiful, but watch out... one bit me!!! haha!) The next day I rented a bike and rode around, up to Mount Belvedere (see picture below), among ancient Polynesian ruins, to the School of Agriculture, and along Pineapple Road (see picture below). On the way back I stopped off to swim at a "public" beach (not the same as our public beaches in the US!!).


View from Mt. Belvedere, Moorea


Along Pineapple Road, Moorea (this is a pineapple plantation)

Hiking the trails on the mountain, near the ruins

Each morning I was woken by "singing" from the many roosters that inhabit the island. They don't only crow (or "sing") at sunrise, but all times of the day and night. I enjoyed island cuisine (coconut, pineapple, and papaya) as well as French-influenced food as much of the population hails from France (we had beignets one day for dessert). The people were lovely, both the locals and other visitors I met. I made new friends from California, Australia, and France, and of course from French Polynesia.



Our host Laure, with Delphine, Renault, and me

My last day in Moorea was bittersweet as I said goodbye to new friends and left "my" beautiful beach and took the ferry back to Papeete. That night I stayed with another wonderful host, Anne-Marie and her husband Jacques. They cooked me a lovely dinner which we ate outdoors on their balcony overlooking the Tahitian sea. After dinner, Anne-Marie and I went swimming under the stars. Like I said, life here is very difficult! ;-)


Anne-Marie, my fantastic host in Tahiti
Now, it's goodbye to Moorea and hello to New Zealand. Will write more soon!

7 comments:

  1. yay mary!!! this is AMAZING. im so glad you are livin it up. i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah..those pics look like postcards!! So excited you are having such a great time already. Love, hugs and kisses from your alternative family! MWWAHHH!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. Am I a nerd that I check your blog every day for updates??!! YES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was fab, chicky! A complete travelogue and PICS!!!! You even included one with your sunshiney face in it. :)

    Stay safe, have fun and keep that travelogue comin'! Woo-hoo!

    Love,
    Fotini

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome pics! They/you look great. Looking forward for more! Moar!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Over 1000 islands! It's no surprise it's called Polynesia. Πολλά νησιά i.e. many islands.

    ReplyDelete