Monday, December 19, 2011

The Aucklander

Over the past few weeks, Auckland and I have become fairly well-acquainted with each other. I've had to stop through town several times on my way to and from other places. Earlier this week, I stopped in for two nights. During my free day, the sun came out (so grateful!) and I went for a run through the Auckland Domain, which reminds me a lot of the Boston Common. The Domain has a "Wintergarden," a glass-enclosed botanical garden of plants and flowers from around the world, and also a fernery, an entire area dedicated to different types of native ferns. I was pleasantly surprised to find such a hidden tropical gem in the middle of the city. I didn't have my camera at the time, but here's a good shot I found online:




Later that day, new friends, Noriko from Japan, Wendy from New Jersey, and I went out for a lively dinner on Ponsonby Rd.


I'm currently in Taupo, where the sun is out, the lake is shimmering, and life is good. Will post pictures and a lengthier update soon. Wishing everyone a wonderful week!

1 comment: