Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Haruru

Greetings from the other side of the world!

I haven't posted photos in a while so I figure I should catch up. I'm currently in Rotorua but will put up some pics from a few days ago: my last day in Auckland and some pics from Paihia.
In Auckland, I went with friends to Brown's Bay, a northern suburb, to have a BBQ on the beach. Despite high winds, we had a lovely time and enjoyed another beautiful picturesque view:


Brown's Bay

After our cookout, we walked around the town and took some pic. This one is from a local sweets shop:


Lee, Louise, and me in Brown's Bay

Thursday I headed up to Paihia via bus. Paihia is situated on the coast, next to the Bay of Islands. Creative name: it is simply a bay full of little islands. Paihia itself is a small town that buzzes only in the summer with tourists. I took a hike, starting at the Waitangi treaty grounds. This is a historic site because of the original treaty signed between the British Crown and the Maori people, though the actual history of this relationship depends on which version you subscribe to. Read a bit about the treaty here.
My hike took me about 5 km through the grounds, ending at Haruru Falls. The next day I went kayaking near the Falls as well. Beautiful!

Hiking along the water


Through the mangrove trees


Haruru Falls

Will post more pics soon... still in Rotorua enjoying the geothermal wonders. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment