Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Sweet as

Hey mates!

The past few days I've simply been enjoying Auckland and recovering from a lingering cold. 
Sunday I ventured out to Western Springs for church at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church where I met Fr. Paul Patitsas and his family, and was welcomed warmly by several parishioners. The rest of the day was spent trying to stay dry from the pouring rain: reading in the library (where I'm now a member) and hanging out at the coffee shop.

Monday I joined a free tour of Auckland. We got some great views of the city along our tour:



And we were also treated to a "bridge walk" on the Auckland Harbour Bridge. Some brave souls went bungee jumping off the bridge. I'm saving my money for sky diving. :-)


Today I took a ferry out to Rangitoto Island, which at 600 years old is New Zealand's youngest volcano. The summit of the island rewards visitors with a 360 degree view.


The island also has several lava caves, some of which are big enough to walk/crawl through. I was lucky to have remembered to pack my trusty headlamp (thanks, Liz), which helped me find my way through the darkness of the caves. Very cool.

Happy St. Nicholas day to all! Will write again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment